Monday, July 29, 2024

WeaponLord for Genesis


Image: MobyGames

WeaponLord

There are fighting games, and then there are games you fight


Genre: fighting - 1v1

Publisher: Namco

Year: 1995

System: Genesis


Gameplay Score: 3

Gameplay Notes:

Not sure where to start. There are 6 buttons but for the life of me I can't figure out how they work. I guess they correspond to to motions such as backhand vs forehand strikes but I don't know what the advantage of any particular button is so I just find up mashing everything. Enemies can block attacks somehow even while flying through the air. Again I can't figure out how to replicate this or use it to my advantage. The name of the game is to get a hit and then pound the opponent with an unlockable combo. Needless to say the opponent's are amazing at this and I can't figure out how to reciprocate. There's obviously depth here but it's all beyond my feeble brain. Punishing difficulty, even on the lowest setting. I can't win a single fight without using save states. Even with all those ways, as a button masher it's pretty fun.


Level Design Score: 3

Level Design Notes:

Standard fare. The arenas are interesting. Story, versus, and a welcome arcade mode which skips the cinematics.


Theme Score: 3

Theme Notes:

This Conan rip-off is perfect for the Genesis. The dark and dreary world feels right at home here


Art Style Score: 4

Art Style Notes:

Again, this game feels right at home on the Genesis. The gritty and pixelated artwork is impressive and well animated.


Audio Score: 3

Audio Notes:

Music is drab and ugly. Even if it were composed well the sounds they used are just yuck. Speaking of sounds they're not bad, just repetitive. You'll hear a lot of metal clanks and meaty squirts and not much else. The voice samples are good tho


Overall Score: 62

Review ID: 1385



No comments:

Post a Comment