Friday, August 9, 2024

Super Famicom Wars for SFC


Image: MobyGames

Super Famicom Wars

The best 16-bit tactics game


Genre: strategy - turn-based tactics

Publisher: Nintendo

Year: 1998

System: SFC


Gameplay Score: 5

Gameplay Notes:

Almost perfect gameplay. It's close enough so I'll round up to a 5 here. I'm an Advance Wars junkie so I knew I'd like this one but I was surprised to see how full-featured it was. The only thing missing is the ability to quickly see the range of a unit, but that's a minor gripe. The outcome of all encounters is consistent, which I LOVE. The first GBA ironed out what few complaints I have, but this one set a solid foundation. Easily my favorite 16-bit tactics title.


Level Design Score: 4

Level Design Notes:

There are a ton of stages, but they tend to all be mirror images without any obvious tactical advantage for any combatant. This makes the stages take a bit longer than the otherwise could. Again, this is fixed in the better designed levels of the GBA game, but it's a minor complaint here.


Theme Score: 5

Theme Notes:

Modern warfare with cartoon characters. The animations are amazing! I usually turn them off in Wars games but they have so much personality in this title.


Art Style Score: 5

Art Style Notes:

Incredible


Audio Score: 3

Audio Notes:

Meh music.


Overall Score: 91

Review ID: 1868



No comments:

Post a Comment