Friday, August 9, 2024

Super Hockey '94 for SFC


Image: MobyGames

Super Hockey '94

The easiest sports game ever


Genre: sports - hockey

Publisher: Sunsoft

Year: 1994

System: SFC


Gameplay Score: 2

Gameplay Notes:

By far the easiest sports game I've ever played. I won the first game I played by a score of 15-0. And that was phoning it in for most of the last minute. It was insanely easy to score. Nearly every shot I took would go in. The only exception was in the 2nd period while going down, in which case their goalie was a completely different person and stopped every shot. The AI was so stupid that it would never go towards the puck. Defenders would almost completely ignore me and when the puck was free I was the only one moving towards it. And when they had possession they would just make a beeline for my goal and shoot. No passing or anything. Of course the same was true for me because you can't actually pass to a specific player. You just shoot it in a direction and hope that somebody's near it. Movement is slightly floaty which you'd expect in a hockey game but not terrible. I felt like I could go where I wanted to and without anyone trying to stop me. It is super easy to just get the puck go up the court and take a shot.


Level Design Score: 2

Level Design Notes:

There's a versus mode and a tournament but nothing else. There's 10 or 12 countries to choose from with Russia. Having perfect stats and Australia having awful stats which essentially gives you a difficulty levels. But the gameplay doesn't allow for much interesting to take place, and the court doesn't really have any interesting elements. So nothing to write home about.


Theme Score: 2

Theme Notes:

Just a generic list of 10 or 12 countries to choose from. No licenses or really any presentation outside of the music.


Art Style Score: 2

Art Style Notes:

This looks like an early generation title. There's rarely more than three or four sprites on screen which helps with slow down. They animate very poorly. It's almost so bad. It's good artwork.


Audio Score: 3

Audio Notes:

The music is actually kind of fun, I enjoyed it more than the gameplay. And the funny thing is that while going down on the court it plays a different song. That song has a fun vibe to it and sounds like it came from the Lost Vikings.


Overall Score: 42

Review ID: 1885



No comments:

Post a Comment