Tuesday, July 23, 2024

Bugs Bunny in Double Trouble for Genesis


Image: MobyGames

Bugs Bunny in Double Trouble

Everything about the design Bugs me


Genre: action - platform

Publisher: Sega

Year: 1996

System: Genesis


Gameplay Score: 1

Gameplay Notes:

Extremely slippery controls. You can attack by picking up an item like glue to throw on Daffy in the first level. These attacks are extremely imprecise to the point that they're useless. Fast movement. Poor hit detection and no hitboxes so enemies can sit within yours to kill you quickly. Tons of slowdown. Surprisingly difficult


Level Design Score: 0

Level Design Notes:

For 20 minutes this game had me banging my head against against the wall in frustration. The instructions for the first level are to "tease Daffy into following Bugs, turning all signs around to show 'duck season'." Okay vague but I can work with that and I remember that episode. But when gameplay begins Daffy is running headlong towards you and when he touches you you take damage. So my first instinct is to avoid him altogether. I then find a few signs that show Bugs's face. I furiously press every button but nothing happens. After a few minutes of wandering aimlessly I come across one sign with Daffy's face on it. Only now do I realize my objective is to turn the signs around but again buttons do nothing. It's only after reading someone else's annoyed review of this game that I find that Daffy has to be right next to me while I'm near a sign for it to turn around. So the objective of the level is to get Daffy to chase me. Should that have been obvious? Maybe, but again it doesn't make sense as a video game. I've never played a game with such a weird objective. And no, this isn't the only level with such a bizarre objective. They're all strange.


Theme Score: 3

Theme Notes:

The game is structured around a series of classic cartoons. If you know them, you'll feel some nostalgia, but if you don't know them well, you'll be completely confused by this game.


Art Style Score: 3

Art Style Notes:

The artwork looks good. Sprites are well drawn but don't animate very well. The backgrounds use dark colors and have a pre-rendered look to them. They don't look anything like the cartoons and feel out of place.


Audio Score: 1

Audio Notes:

Generic music and sounds don't feel on theme.


Overall Score: 21

Review ID: 805



No comments:

Post a Comment