Thursday, July 18, 2024

Lock On for SNES


Image: MobyGames

Lock On

I can't shake him. I can't shake him!


Genre: simulation - flight

Publisher: Vic Tokai

Year: 1993

System: SNES


Gameplay Score: 1

Gameplay Notes:

Reminds me of Top Gun for NES. Just an endless series of dogfights against 3-5 enemies at once. Not fair odds. Impossible to get behind any enemies so all attacks happen head on. Just wait until you get a lock on an enemy and shoot a missile. You've got a machine gun for no apparent reason since there's no way to use it. Flares also do next to nothing. Grew tired of it really quickly Ace Combat did it much better


Level Design Score: 1

Level Design Notes:

No idea how to end a level. I shot down about 30 enemies before losing all my lives. And any interest I initially had.


Theme Score: 3

Theme Notes:

I love the idea but the poor controls and technical limitations hold it back. Presentation is excellent. I was eager to start the first mission after getting briefed by my c.o.


Art Style Score: 3

Art Style Notes:

The planes look great but the scaling is rough. You fly by everyone so quickly that you can't appreciate the models


Audio Score: 3

Audio Notes:

Energetic music sets a great mood. As Maverick's c.o. might have said, it writes a check that the gameplay can't cash.


Overall Score: 30

Review ID: 298



No comments:

Post a Comment