Friday, July 26, 2024

Pac-Mania for Genesis


Image: MobyGames

Pac-Mania

Isometric Pac-Man


Genre: arcade - n/a

Publisher: Tengen

Year: 1991

System: Genesis


Gameplay Score: 3

Gameplay Notes:

It's Pac-Man. With an isometric view. That is all. Actually I have a couple of complaints that make me prefer the original version. First complaint is that it sometimes ate my units when I tried to make a turn. Not cool. Second, the view is zoomed in such that you can only see at most 1/4 of the board which makes it hard to find that last piece.


Level Design Score: 2

Level Design Notes:

I felt like every board was exactly the same. Maybe there were two or three boards but they were incredibly similar. And unfortunately they were like the original game instead of Ms. Pac-Man, so very few let you escape to the sides and none of them warped you to the opposite side of the map. I got bored quickly


Theme Score: 2

Theme Notes:

I've never been a big Pac-Man fan and this game doesn't change that. There's a cute-ish animation before each level but otherwise the game has poor presentation.


Art Style Score: 4

Art Style Notes:

Lovely artwork. The 3D effect is convincing. I enjoyed looking at the game more than playing it.


Audio Score: 2

Audio Notes:

The waka waka sounds are perfectly realized but man is the soundtrack boring as sin. It sounds like a 90s new age white noise album. Yuck


Overall Score: 54

Review ID: 1139



No comments:

Post a Comment