Robotrek for SNES

Review #467

Robotrek

Pocket Robots - PokeRob?

SNES 1994 Enix RPG RPG › Japanese
Robotrek screenshot for SNES
Screenshot used for review/reference purposes.
2 / 5

Gameplay

It's...something. They certainly took a risk and made something a little bit different than the average RPG. You don't fight directly but instead send a robot in to fight for you. You've got three different attacks - two ranged and one melee. The ATB battle system tkes forever to charge so enemies get in a ton of hits, especially if there are multiple enemies.
The first level requires an insane amount of grinding to overcome such that I want to give up on this game after about 3 hours of nonstop grinding.
Tons of weird ideas and annoyances like not being about to head outside of a battle, a time limit within each battle that's only possible when fighting a single enemy, no random battles except enemies who already suddenly to start a fight. Also you can only use one robot at a time even though you can have three in your party.
There are a ton of options and mechanics, like a.craftong system, which on paper add depth to the game but I was so put off by the battle system that I don't want to learn more.

2 / 5

Level Design

Uses a SMB3 overworld to connect levels.
The areas are very simple and small.

3 / 5

Theme

You're an sorting inventor who is trust into some minor and then major quests. The dialogue has a bit of humor. Between the music, the silly character models, and the dialogue this game is going for a funny vibe but it doesn't go far enough imo. It's certainly different

4 / 5

Art Style

Great sprites and animation. Well drawn artwork. I wish there were more variety in the sprites

3 / 5

Audio

I only heard a few tracks as I did his of grinding. They're well composed and use silly sounds like mechanical beats and drums. Silly but repetitive

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

About this Site - Sep 2025 Update

Chrono Trigger for SNES

Super Hydlide for Genesis