Sunday, July 21, 2024

Super Pinball: Behind the Mask for SNES


Image: MobyGames

Super Pinball: Behind the Mask

The Crush series didn't come to SNES so this is the best SNES pinball


Genre: arcade - pinball

Publisher: Nintendo

Year: 1994

System: SNES


Gameplay Score: 3

Gameplay Notes:

Full table is visible so no scrolling. View is slightly tilted away from you as it would be if you were standing at the foot of an actual pinball machine. L and R paddles are controlled by last d-pad and A but I wish all directions or buttons would work like on Pinball Dreams and Fantasies. Tables have a lot of features that open up as you hit them. Kept me engaged anyway, more than any other pinball game on the SNES. Excellent physics. I felt that reverted was fair and the ball bounced exactly as I would expect it to. It feels very realistic


Level Design Score: 3

Level Design Notes:

Three tables - a clown, pirates, and a wizard. Kinda weird but they are decent and have distinct personality. The sound compliments them a great deal, adding to the distinct atmosphere of each.


Theme Score: 3

Theme Notes:

It's pinball, but it feels a lot like a pinball machine in a seedy and dingy bar. Gives a bit of escapism.


Art Style Score: 4

Art Style Notes:

My first impression was that it looks small and dark but the graphics immediately caught me. Seeing the whole tables allows the marquee and full table animations to occur when you do something good. These details are captivating


Audio Score: 3

Audio Notes:

Varying degrees of goodness in the soundtrack. The Wizard tables has incredible music and atmosphere to spare. I dont like pinball generally but that table really caught my eyes and ears. Meanwhile, the clown-themed Jolly Roger tables assaulted my ears with annoying lounge music that I'd rather not hear ever again.


Overall Score: 62

Review ID: 582



No comments:

Post a Comment