Sunday, July 28, 2024

Thunder Force IV (Lightening Force: Quest for the Darkstar) for Genesis


Image: MobyGames

Thunder Force IV (Lightening Force: Quest for the Darkstar)

Always getting lighter


Genre: shooter - horizontal

Publisher: Sega

Year: 1993

System: Genesis


Gameplay Score: 4

Gameplay Notes:

I remember loving thias game so I was expecting to be wowed but came away disappointed. It's great, don't get me wrong, it's just not as great as I remember it. My chief complaint is the pervasive slowdown. We're talking Gradius 3 levels of the slow stuff. Boss fights in particular are almost completely slowed but a good portion of the the levels are as well. The other complaint I have is that boss fights drag on and on for WAY too long. I thought I was doing something wrong or using the wrong weapons. The bosses themselves were also rather boring affairs compared to TFIII.


Level Design Score: 4

Level Design Notes:

More empty segments that in TFIII. Locales for each level vary greatly but the overly tall screen isn't as fun as having tight design on a single screen.


Theme Score: 5

Theme Notes:


Art Style Score: 5

Art Style Notes:

Wow. Just wow. I didn't know the Genesis could handle so many layers of parallax scrolling! Or so much color in the backgrounds. Or such detail in the sprites and backgrounds. Or so many sprites on screen at once...well ok the slowdown is excessive but that doesn't take away from the breathtaking visuals. Easily the best looking Genesis shooter.


Audio Score: 4

Audio Notes:

Music and sound are still good, but not at the level it was in the previous title.


Overall Score: 83

Review ID: 1325



No comments:

Post a Comment