Monday, July 22, 2024

WeaponLord for SNES


Image: MobyGames

WeaponLord

There are fighting games, and then there are games you fight


Genre: fighting - 1v1

Publisher: Namco

Year: 1995

System: SNES


Gameplay Score: 3

Gameplay Notes:

Not sure where to start. There are 6 buttons but for the life of me I can't figure out how they work. I guess they correspond to to motions such as backhand vs forehand strikes but I don't know what the advantage of any particular button is so I just find up mashing everything. Enemies can block attacks somehow even while flying through the air. Again I can't figure out how to replicate this or use it to my advantage. The name of the game is to get a hit and then pound the opponent with an unlockable combo. Needless to say the opponent's are amazing at this and I can't figure out how to reciprocate. There's obviously depth here but it's all beyond my feeble brain. Punishing difficulty, even on the lowest setting. I can't win a single fight without using save states. Even with all those ways, as a button masher it's pretty fun.


Level Design Score: 3

Level Design Notes:

Standard fare. The arenas are interesting. Story, versus, and a welcome arcade mode which skips the cinematics.


Theme Score: 2

Theme Notes:

Another Conan rip-off. Dark and dreary world. Not a place I want to spend much time in, but it feels like an Image comic from the early 90s.


Art Style Score: 3

Art Style Notes:

The most Genesis looking SNES game ever. Gritty and pixelated artwork is impressive at times but are never very attractive. Oddly the games seems too bright and the characters get lost in the bright backgrounds. Reminds me of Eternal Champions, Sega's Killer Instinct wannabe. It's not pretty but the grit and grime stand out from the colorful fighting games on the SNES.


Audio Score: 2

Audio Notes:

Music is drab. Even if it were composed well the sounds they used are yuck. Speaking of sounds they're not bad, just repetitive. You'll hear a lot of metal clanks and meaty squirts and not much else. The voice samples are good tho


Overall Score: 57

Review ID: 679



No comments:

Post a Comment