Monday, July 29, 2024

World of Illusion Starring Mickey Mouse and Donald Duck for Genesis


Image: MobyGames

World of Illusion Starring Mickey Mouse and Donald Duck

Mickey for the kiddies


Genre: action - platform

Publisher: Sega

Year: 1992

System: Genesis


Gameplay Score: 3

Gameplay Notes:

Slow movement. You can run by holding A but it's ever so slightly faster and it's rarely needed. Attack has a long reach but it's a really long animation. It stuns enemies who have i-frames until they wake back up. This often leads to unexpected hits if you walk through a stunned enemy. So, instead you have to attack and then wait to see if it's actually dead. Controls are responsive, but again fairly slow. No new abilities are ever gained. It's just straight platforming and simple combat. Incredibly easy. This is one of the easiest games on the Genesis.


Level Design Score: 3

Level Design Notes:

Levels alternate between your typical platformer and a flappy bird style level where you press jump to stay afloat. These control horribly and they can't end soon enough.


Theme Score: 4

Theme Notes:

All the Mickey Mouse Club is here - play as either Mickey or Disney. It lacks the ambiance of Magical Quest, but it's decent.


Art Style Score: 4

Art Style Notes:

Looks good for an early Genesis game..although it's a mid-gen release. Good animation, but nothing to rival the Magical Quest or Mickey Mania games. Many of the backgrounds I have nice effects like a mountain climb where lightning is striking and rain is falling. So the backgrounds are well drawn.


Audio Score: 3

Audio Notes:

Pleasant, but unimpressive music and sounds.


Overall Score: 63

Review ID: 1404



2 comments:

  1. I agree with this score for single-player, but I'd probably add 20 points for the co-op two-player mode. Something to note is that there are basically three sets of levels - Mickey levels, Donald levels and co-op levels.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment. You pose a great question. I debated about how to factor co-op into my reviews. I ultimately decided to ignore it as much as possible, since all of my playing was done on my own (1P only). However, there were a few exceptions, like Metal Warriors which has a fantastic 1v1 mode that I absolutely adore. So I was admittedly inconsistent about reviewing and rewarding co-op play. I think you're right that I'd likely score a few games higher had I played them in co-op mode. Maybe I should go back and do that...and I wonder how many games would need to be replayed.

      Delete