Monday, July 29, 2024

Ys III: Wanderers from Ys for Genesis


Image: MobyGames

Ys III: Wanderers from Ys

Side scrolling Lagoon


Genre: adventure - platform

Publisher: Renovation Products

Year: 1991

System: Genesis


Gameplay Score: 1

Gameplay Notes:

Horrible hit detection Enemies with no collision Weapon with almost no reach Insane difficulty - grind to win gameplay. Zero skill required or rewarded. I found a spot where an enemy could be manipulated to respawn and I ordered up a book too grind for me for 30 minutes and then I walked through the game.


Level Design Score: 2

Level Design Notes:

Linear story is easy to follow. Just go to the next area, beat a boss, and grab a statue. Repeat. Levels are short and boring


Theme Score: 3

Theme Notes:

Standard hero story. There aren't anime cut scenes at the very start like in the SNES version. Just a text crawl instead.


Art Style Score: 3

Art Style Notes:

NES quality sprites but the backgrounds have a ton of parallax scrolling. Despite their simplicity I like the graphics


Audio Score: 4

Audio Notes:

Nice tunes. I've heard people gush about the soundtrack. It's good but I don't think it compares to contemporary soundtracks like Actraiser or FFIV


Overall Score: 37

Review ID: 1417



No comments:

Post a Comment