Tuesday, August 6, 2024

Bishoujo Senshi Sailor Moon: Another Story for SFC


Image: MobyGames

Bishoujo Senshi Sailor Moon: Another Story

More visual novel than RPG


Genre: rpg - japanese

Publisher: Angel

Year: 1995

System: SFC


Gameplay Score: 2

Gameplay Notes:

Simple turn-based combat. There is some sort of combo attack, similar to Chrono Trigger's dual and triple techs, but I was never able to use them so I don't know what they add to the mix. I played for two hours and only got into a handful of battles. The rest of the time was spent reading dialogue and walking to the next area. This feels like more of a visual novel than an RPG. The only good thing I'll point out is that movement is lightnight fast. Your normal movement is good but you can hold B to run and L or R to move at lightning speed. Holy moly. Other complaints include the complete lack of a map and a battle menu with incomprehensible icons in place of text options.


Level Design Score: 2

Level Design Notes:

Go to X place and watch a long scene. Then go to Y place and watch another long scene. Go to Z, fight one monster, and watch a long scene. Uggh.


Theme Score: 1

Theme Notes:

It's Sailor Moon. If that's your thing then you'll be in heaven, but man is it annoying in my book. I could handle it in their puzzle and fighting games, but the sheer volume of dialogue to get through here is making my head explode. I don't care who you have a crucsh on Usagi! I really don't.


Art Style Score: 2

Art Style Notes:

The graphics are good, but pastel colors make everything sickeningly sweet. Blah enemy designs make everything else patently boring. Also, the viewing area is fitted into a frame with an ugly overlay. Why is this necessary?


Audio Score: 2

Audio Notes:

Some of the music is ear-splitting. The indoor theme is someone pounding the same note as a beat. Yikes. Again, this is probably me not liking the theme, but I do not like this Japanese Barbie vibe.


Overall Score: 39

Review ID: 1559



No comments:

Post a Comment