Wednesday, August 7, 2024

From TV Animation Slam Dunk: SD Heat Up!! for SFC


Image: MobyGames

From TV Animation Slam Dunk: SD Heat Up!!

Not Turn-based basketball


Genre: sports - basketball

Publisher: Bandai

Year: 1995

System: SFC


Gameplay Score: 3

Gameplay Notes:

Hey, an actual basketball game! They ditched the turn-based QTE nonsense from the previous two games in favor of a standard horizontal real-time sports game. It's rather slow, which suits me just fine, but shooting is a strange experience and defense is an impossible task. It's fairly easy to score and almost certain to be scored up on because once you get past the 3 point line any shot attempt because a driving layup or a rim rocking slam dunk. Oh and your opponent's grab every rebound, even on their own shots. I once had them collect 5 straight offensive boards despite my entire team being in the paint and me jumping after each board. So annoying. All that said, it plays ok. Passing works as expected and it's fun to go back and forth. Not a bad little sports game.


Level Design Score: 3

Level Design Notes:

It's hard to figure out how to start a match. I think there's a tournament mode, but the exhibition is all I need. Maybe there's a story mode as well, I didn't even try to find it.


Theme Score: 2

Theme Notes:

Same old. In this case it's all SD characters with exaggerated expressions. I guess it appeals to me slightly more than the other games but I'd still much rather play an NBA game.


Art Style Score: 3

Art Style Notes:

Lots of graphical glitches, like taking a shot from just inside the 3 point line and teleporting to the rim in a single frame. Still, the sprites are funny and each look unique which makes it possible to spot your center or PG or whatever.


Audio Score: 2

Audio Notes:


Overall Score: 57

Review ID: 1637



No comments:

Post a Comment