Thursday, August 8, 2024

Magical Drop for SFC


Image: MobyGames

Magical Drop

Ca-ca-ca-can't make a combo to save my life


Genre: puzzle - blocks

Publisher: Data East

Year: 1995

System: SFC


Gameplay Score: 3

Gameplay Notes:

It's a match three game where you pick up and then drop tiles. The gimmick is great, like a reverse bust a move, but creating combos is very difficult. I've always enjoyed playing Magical Drop, but I just suck at it. I know how to play, I just can't figure out how to play well. So I always lose in versus matches and only last about 4 minutes in the endless mode. I can't even finish the 5th puzzle. I want to love it because it's fun and satisfying to slap the tiles down but I just can't do it.


Level Design Score: 3

Level Design Notes:

Modes include: Story, 2P VS, Endless, Puzzle I really wish there were difficulty levels because again I can't play it more than a few minutes at a time before losing.


Theme Score: 4

Theme Notes:

Absolutely adorable setting. Like an Akira Toriyama designed medieval world. I like that you can see your character in the background art while you're playing.


Art Style Score: 4

Art Style Notes:

Super colorful and cartoony graphics. It lacks the effects of the arcade and Neo Geo titles. Otherwise looks pretty good.


Audio Score: 4

Audio Notes:

Lively music which matches the theme perfectly. The puzzle theme is way too short of a track so it gets annoying very quickly. But the sample noises sound great. Oh, and so do the voice samples.


Overall Score: 65

Review ID: 1739



No comments:

Post a Comment