Friday, August 9, 2024

Seiken Densetsu 3 for SFC


Image: MobyGames

Seiken Densetsu 3

aka Trial of Mana


Genre: adventure - overhead

Publisher: Square

Year: 1995

System: SFC


Gameplay Score: 4

Gameplay Notes:

Plays almost exactly the same as Secret of Mana, but with a few improvements, most notably the improved draw distance. Unfortunately, the menuing is significantly slower. It's so slow that it's annoying. The inventory menu takes A couple of seconds to page across between the five or six tabs the normal menu that shows status and equipment and what not is also terribly slow. This is in stark contrast to the magic and items ring system which is still excellent. There's a day night cycle, although not much changes in most places, but it makes the world feel more lived in and dynamic. Combat is as awkward as ever and this time around it's harder to tell when your turn has come back. Maybe I'm given the game too much credit but the movement feels great, I just don't like the combat.


Level Design Score: 3

Level Design Notes:

I've picked up this game maybe a dozen times over the years and I always have the same experience. I start one of the chapters and play for an hour or two but I can't figure out what to do or where to go. I just get so confused. I think this is a game that requires the use of a guide or walk-through. The areas are maze-like and although I can eventually find my way around, they just seem confusing. Part of it is the perspective where a lot of paths and caves don't look obvious. The visual language of the game is poor, probably due to the excessive detail added throughout.


Theme Score: 5

Theme Notes:

The story here is deep winding and with six playable characters, there's a lot of story to be seen. As a completionist I'm not keen on missing half of the game on each playthrough so it gives me a bit of heartburn. But there's a lot of game to be had here.


Art Style Score: 5

Art Style Notes:

The visuals here are amazing. This looks like a Sega Saturn game or an early PlayStation RPG. Still hook colors are muted compared to the original whose graphics I much prefer. However, there's no question that this is a great looking game.


Audio Score: 4

Audio Notes:

Once again the music is good but I prefer the original over this soundtrack. A couple of the songs are catchy but most are good but forgettable. They use a lot of the same instrument. Sounds from the original which is a good thing.


Overall Score: 78

Review ID: 1826



No comments:

Post a Comment