Friday, August 9, 2024

Shiki Eiyuuden for SFC


Image: MobyGames

Shiki Eiyuuden

Professor Layton, in China


Genre: rpg - japanese

Publisher: Outrigger Koubou

Year: 1995

System: SFC


Gameplay Score: 2

Gameplay Notes:

Menus, combat, and movement are decidedly old school (i.e. archaic). Very high difficulty and slow leveling add up to frustration in the early game. And by early game I mean the first three hours at least. This game is brutal. For example, in the first real dungeon you'll fight a series of beatable enemies who take off 1-15 HP per attack, and then run into a fight against a monster who one-shots you by taking off 300+ HP (you've only got 50). Terrible pacing. The only noteworthy aspect of this game is the inclusion of a whole bunch of puzzles. I have no idea how many are in this game, but the tutorial area gives you three challenges in a row and warns you that there are many to follow. These are Professor Layton-like puzzles such as sliding tiles and a Rubik's Cube style puzzle that made my brain hurt. These puzzles are an interesting addition but unless you love brain teasers, steer clear.


Level Design Score: 1

Level Design Notes:

I was thoroughly confused about what to do in the first area. I wandered around the tiny island talking to all four NPCs but couldn't figure out how to progress the story. I tried to find a walkthrough but apparently no one knows about this game because there wasn't one. I finally figured it out after wandering around for an hour. Bad design in my opinion. Also, I assume that at some point I will build a party, but after three hours I'm done with this game so I don't know if the story or party mechanics ever improve.


Theme Score: 2

Theme Notes:

Honestly, the story is barely there and what is here is unimpressive. It's got a Chinese setting, which is different than most. There's a complete lack of characters who have a name and a personality.


Art Style Score: 2

Art Style Notes:

Pretty bad for a 1995 title. Absolutely nothing stands out. the pixel artwork is middling at best and the battle graphics are dark and bland.


Audio Score: 3

Audio Notes:

By far this game's best feature, the music is soothing and sweet. Even the battle theme is farily chill.


Overall Score: 37

Review ID: 1829



No comments:

Post a Comment