Saturday, August 10, 2024

Touge Densetsu: Saisoku Battle for SFC


Image: MobyGames

Touge Densetsu: Saisoku Battle

Road Rash without opponents


Genre: racing - bike

Publisher: Bulletproof

Year: 1996

System: SFC


Gameplay Score: 3

Gameplay Notes:

Pretty standard Mode 7 racer. The turns aren't so tight that you won't make them, but your bike isn't terribly responsive either. I wound up off-road and in the walls quite a bit. That said, the controls are passable. My biggest complaint is that there isn't anything to do. Other racers are on the track but you and they're are moving so fast you rarely see them. This makes the experience feel incredibly empty.


Level Design Score: 2

Level Design Notes:

Perhaps I should spend more time to figure out how to see more tracks, but I was only able to see one track. It just just making me race on the same one over and over. And it's a really weird one that is a straight line with too loops on each end for you to turn around and return to the same road. An interesting choice, but not very interesting.


Theme Score: 1

Theme Notes:

Way too many menus. I lost count of the number of button presses it took before I could start racing. The language barrier makes this worse, but even without that I think it would be a chore to get into this title.


Art Style Score: 3

Art Style Notes:

The Mode 7 is done well and even features some faux verticality by pulling the horizon close to you. It's weird but does an adequate job at faking a climb. Your sprite is animmated well although it's not colorful and isn't the most exciting thing to look at.


Audio Score: 1

Audio Notes:

I usually complain about the never-ending engine noise in racing games like this, but in this case I'm going to complain about it being too quiet! This game features a manual transmission and knowing when to shift it difficult when you can't hear the engine over the too-loud music. Instead you have to check the odometer which takes your eye off the road. This kind of ruined the experience for me, despite the music and sound effects being otherwise passable.


Overall Score: 49

Review ID: 1934



No comments:

Post a Comment