Monday, July 29, 2024

Dungeon Explorer for TurboGrafx-16


Image: MobyGames

Dungeon Explorer

Gauntlet with a dash of Soul Blazer


Genre: adventure - overhead

Publisher: NEC

Year: 1989

System: TurboGrafx-16


Gameplay Score: 3

Gameplay Notes:

I'll bet this is much better as a multiplayer experience but it's enjoyable even single player. Right direction movement and firing. You can't move while attacking which sounds limiting but actually helps you hit your target. Enemies pour out of generators just like in Gauntlet or Soul Blazer. I guess there's some magic but I couldn't figure out how to select a specific pickup so I just used my one attack. It's fun. I had a good time with it.


Level Design Score: 4

Level Design Notes:

Huge open world. Lots of locked areas like any good Metroidvania.


Theme Score: 3

Theme Notes:

It's fun to strive at a new town and learn their plight. But it's otherwise a forgettable experience. Nothing stands out


Art Style Score: 3

Art Style Notes:

Again fairly standard stuff for the genre. Sprites are small


Audio Score: 4

Audio Notes:

I enjoyed the music despite it being repetitive. The sound effects are nice as well


Overall Score: 67

Review ID: 1457



No comments:

Post a Comment