Monday, July 29, 2024

Dungeons & Dragons: Order of the Griffon for TurboGrafx-16


Image: MobyGames

Dungeons & Dragons: Order of the Griffon

Talk to everyone


Genre: rpg - western

Publisher: TTI

Year: 1992

System: TurboGrafx-16


Gameplay Score: 2

Gameplay Notes:

One of the better 16-bit D&D titles. It's got nothing on the JRPGs of the time but it's not a complete trainwreck. Movement happens in a dungeon crawler view but combat happens on a tactical grid. The grid is weird. Movement is highly restrictive and there is so much randomness. Yes, I know it's a literal roll of the dice but I fought 6 or 7 battles and my main character Fighter never once landed a hit. I also hate how nerfed you are in the early game. Your party members have 5-10 HP so they die after one or two hits. I don't have the patience to level them up. Streamlined inventory management and such. Better than many dungeon crawlers.


Level Design Score: 1

Level Design Notes:

Who knows? I'm sure it's a big long adventure, but I can't see myself toughing it out long enough to get around. There's no real direction where to go. The Lord sends you on a quest with barely intelligible direction and a recommendation to "talk to everyone." Thanks, I've never heard that before chief.


Theme Score: 1

Theme Notes:

Again, barely a whiff of story or direction. Just go find out if vampires exist and report back to the Lord of the manner. Yeah no thanks.


Art Style Score: 2

Art Style Notes:

The first-person view is quite good. Not Double Dungeons good, but pretty nice all the same. However, the battle view is straight out of an Atari 2600 game. Hideous.


Audio Score: 2

Audio Notes:

Pretty standard stuff for a D&D game.


Overall Score: 34

Review ID: 1458



No comments:

Post a Comment