Tuesday, August 6, 2024

Dragon Quest I & II for SFC


Image: MobyGames

Dragon Quest I & II

For die-hard fans only


Genre: rpg - japanese

Publisher: Enix

Year: 1993

System: SFC


Gameplay Score: 2

Gameplay Notes:

Look, it pioneered the genre, but has since been eclipsed by nearly every game that has come since then. This is the most bare bones, yet functional JRPG ever. The archaic inventory and menu systems alone are enough to knock this down to a 2, but the incessant need to grind is the other major knock. I've never cared much for this series, and the grind is the primary reason why.


Level Design Score: 3

Level Design Notes:

I like how open the world is in both of these games. I usually dislike such a listless direction, but I had as much enjoyment wandering around as I didn't actually advancing the story. Again, this set the template and others have greatly improved on it, but I enjoy the world you inhabit here.


Theme Score: 4

Theme Notes:

It's incredibly simply, but oh so charming! The prologue and the music create a lovely, Disney-like fantasy setting.


Art Style Score: 2

Art Style Notes:

These are NES games, and it shows. The battle graphics are slightly upgraded, with cute sprites and nice backgrounds, especially in DQII. But c'mon, this isn't a graphical powerhouse by any stretch.


Audio Score: 3

Audio Notes:

I enjoy many of the compositions, but these are very simple tracks.


Overall Score: 49

Review ID: 1610



No comments:

Post a Comment