Dragon Quest V: Tenkuu no Hanayome for SFC
Review #2091
Dragon Quest V: Tenkuu no Hanayome
The grindy game is grindy
Gameplay
I hope you like grinding, because that's 90% of what this game offers you. This is the anti-Chrono Trigger. It's amazing how much the genre evolved in only 3 years.
I wish I could rate it higher, but this RPG has an ancient inventory system, no ability to select a specific target (you can only pick a group of similarly named enemies), very slow movement, the convoluted menu rather than a simple one-button for everything, and a long opening where you're weak and alone. Pretty much everything that I hate from the 8-bit era of JRPGs.
Besides that there's not much to report. The game does include a couple of QoL features such as X which replaces the need for clicking A to open the menu for everything (yes I know I complained about that earlier), and a helpful slide when you're half a tile over whehn you walk into a wall. But that's all I can say positive about the gameplay. The Pokemon-esque monster recruitment feature is neat but annoying since it's a roll of the dice every time. Again, grind, grind, grind!
Level Design
The gameplay sucks, but the game's story and missions are well-crafted. Easily this game's saving grace. They're simple, so nothing near the quality of the Final Fantasy mainline titles, but decently interesting.
Theme
There's something so warm and inviting about the DQ titles. I don't know what it is exactly, but they suck me in.
Art Style
Barely more than NES quality. All sprites are tiny. Not a visually impressive game by any stretch.
Audio
Gotta love the music in this game. I don't think it reaches the same heights as other games in the genre, but the compositions are excellent.
Comments
Post a Comment