Tuesday, August 6, 2024

Dragon Quest VI: Maboroshi no Daichi for SFC


Image: MobyGames

Dragon Quest VI: Maboroshi no Daichi

Everything but the gameplay is top notch


Genre: rpg - japanese

Publisher: Enix

Year: 1995

System: SFC


Gameplay Score: 3

Gameplay Notes:

I really really wanted to give this a four but when all is said and done it still plays like an NES era RPG. And the grinding holy cow. It's unreal how much you have to grind in this game. I full-on cheated and leveled my guy up to 99 cuz I was so sick of spending 2 hours just to level up three levels. And you have to do it immediately. It's such a shame. It's worth mentioning that this game includes a couple of QoL improvmemnets, including a "Sack" the acts as a second inventory screen. Minor improvement, but welcome nonetheless. Secondly, you can hold down the A button to auto-battle. It's kind of slow, but saves some mashing, which I was grateful for. DQV had this feature as well.


Level Design Score: 5

Level Design Notes:

I don't know what it is but I really like the story beats and the missions that you go on in this game. I really wish you would gain a party member earlier, but I'm calling that a minor complaint here. Might come back and complete this game.


Theme Score: 5

Theme Notes:

Again, I really love the setting of this game. You start off with a disturbing dream/premonition and then get to work helping your little village. The stakes are low but there's that looming threat established right off the bat. Love it


Art Style Score: 4

Art Style Notes:

Massively improved graphics over its predecessors. The battle graphics are top notch, including a good amount of animation and those top notch character designs from Toriyama. The sprites in the overhead areas aren't amazing, so that's the only knock I've got. And the menus look archaic, so I guess that's another complaint. Lovely effects in the backgrounds of zoomed in areas like towns.


Audio Score: 5

Audio Notes:

Amazing soundtrack!


Overall Score: 78

Review ID: 1613



No comments:

Post a Comment