Thursday, August 8, 2024

Ranma ½: Ougi Jaanken for SFC


Image: MobyGames

Ranma ½: Ougi Jaanken

Rock, paper, scissors, and indeterminate combos


Genre: puzzle - blocks

Publisher: Shogakukan

Year: 1995

System: SFC


Gameplay Score: 3

Gameplay Notes:

Blocks are 3x1 horizonal. There are three puzzle pieces, rock paper and scissors and and they work the way you would expect. However, I feel life of me. I can't figure out exactly how the combo system works. You can drop a rock on top of scissors, for example, but if there's another scissors underneath sometimes that block is destroyed but other times it isn't and I can't figure out how or why. In fact, sometimes blocks on the left or right of one that's destroyed our eliminated and again I'm not sure what the pattern is. Ultimately it's just confusing. Maybe with time I would get it but it's not intuitive. That said, the gameplay feels good. You can move your pieces and the movement feels good and snappy. I really wish I could change the orientation of the block piece, but that's a minor gripe. Even on the lowest difficulty setting, your opponent drops so much garbage that matches her over in under a minute. Most of the time with me losing them, of course. Extremely difficult game.


Level Design Score: 2

Level Design Notes:

There are only two modes: the standard story and versus mode. Both the modes are two player competitive. Not my favorite. No puzzle mode.


Theme Score: 2

Theme Notes:

I'm not a Ranma fan so I'm not sure what's going on.


Art Style Score: 3

Art Style Notes:

Decent artwork. While playing, you can see a headshot of yourself and the opponent which animate as things happen. Not that you'll be watching it closely, but it looks nice. Everything is visually clean and colorful, but there's little variety.


Audio Score: 3

Audio Notes:

Catchy Japanese music, but the sound effects are almost non-existent.


Overall Score: 54

Review ID: 1809



No comments:

Post a Comment