Tuesday, July 30, 2024

Street Fighter II: Champion Edition for TurboGrafx-16


Image: MobyGames

Street Fighter II: Champion Edition

Japan-only, but had to include it


Genre: fighting - 1v1

Publisher: NEC

Year: 1993

System: TurboGrafx-16


Gameplay Score: 3

Gameplay Notes:

This is an impressive port, but it's clearly inferior to both the SNES and Genesis versions. I mean, come on, there's a reason why this is never included in compilations. There was even a SMS version, if you can believe that. The controller holds this game back big-time. You use I, II, and Start for attacks and Select to switch between punch and kick. Lovely, no?


Level Design Score: 4

Level Design Notes:

Love SF2's distinct fighting arenas.


Theme Score: 4

Theme Notes:

Same game as before. I like the post fight insults, even if they're in Japanese


Art Style Score: 4

Art Style Notes:

Wow. Looks even better than the Genesis game! It's slightly letterboxed though. The colors are beautiful and animation is nearly on par with the SNES version. Oh and some details in the background are missing.


Audio Score: 4

Audio Notes:

The sound is amazing! There are some missing sounds from the SNES version and the music is missing channels but the voices sound great. It puts the Genesis version to shame.


Overall Score: 70

Review ID: 1520



4 comments:

  1. Much like Sega released a 6-button controller when SF2 came out, so did NEC, so you don't HAVE to play with only I, II, and Select. If you're emulating, check your settings. Look up the NEC Avenue Pad 6. Later Duo models (R, RX) also shipped with a 6-button pad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow I had no idea that NEC made a six button pad. I collect controllers but had never known this. Thanks for the tip!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, just as SF2 didn't see a US release, neither did the 6-button controller. And a few other games could use the 6-button controller, though mostly CD titles and mostly fighters.

      Delete
    2. Yeah, SF2 was the only non-US TG-16 game I included in the project. I purposely included Terranigma for the SNES and then accidentally included Mr. Nutz and Hurricanes for Genesis, so I felt that I should add something for NEC. I went with SF2 because it allowed me to directly compare a game across all three systems.

      I just finished the English-friendly Super Famicom games, so if and when I review the English-friendly PCEngine games I'll watch for those that support the 6-button controller.

      Delete