Monday, July 29, 2024

Winter Olympics: Lillehammer 94 for Genesis


Image: MobyGames

Winter Olympics: Lillehammer 94

Does anyone outside of Scandinavia care about the Winter Olympics?


Genre: minigame - n/a

Publisher: U.S. Gold

Year: 1993

System: Genesis


Gameplay Score: 1

Gameplay Notes:

A few of the games have somewhat decent controls, but these are shallow gaming experiences no matter how you slice it.


Level Design Score: 3

Level Design Notes:

10 events! Seems like a million compared to the rest of these minigame collections. Really only amounts to 4 - skiing, luge, the computer moves you and you're supposed to push a few buttons at the right time, and biathlon. Biathlon is the only one I'd say is fun, but at least there's variety. DOWNHILL - Slalom skiing on an isometric plane. Miss one gate and you lose. Good luck with this. Even with save states I finished 20 seconds off the podium. Stupid hard. Looks great but is hard to control. LUGE - Kind of fun. Impossible to score high but there's at least some nuanced gameplay here! Not just button mashing or memorized timing. How high you go up the bank determines your speed. The binary d-pad makes it tough to sent yourself but otherwise I enjoyed this event. MOGULS - This one's baffling. I guess you're scored for style points and something else but you seemingly have no control over your movement downhill and the only thing you can do is time a few jumps. At the end you're given a score. I tried all buttons and couldn't figure out how to improve my score in a meaningful way. Whatever. SuperG - Identical to Downhill. Bobsleigh - Identical to Luge. SKI JUMP - Another one with nuanced gameplay but without any instructions I have no idea what to push, and when. Should I mash to gain speed? Do I need to press something when I jump? Should I use the d-pad to make adjustments while I'm in flight? Do I need to do something to ensure a soft landing? Who knows? BIATHLON - Pretty fun actually. Ski by alternating between Y and A and the shoot some targets. SHORT TRACK - Another event when movement is automatic so I'm not sure what sequence of button presses will increase my chances.


Theme Score: 1

Theme Notes:

Does anyone outside of Scandinavia care about the Winter Olympics?


Art Style Score: 3

Art Style Notes:

Nice sprites. But the weird cartoony kids who seem to be the mascots for Lillehammer look completely out of place


Audio Score: 3

Audio Notes:

Sounds like an early EA Genesis game like Road Rash. Not bad by any stretch. The music plays during all events.


Overall Score: 38

Review ID: 1394



No comments:

Post a Comment